This course fulfills the Department of Real Estate mandated 3-hour Fair Housing requirement for first time license renewals. It is designed to increase the real estate licensees knowledge and awareness of sources of federal and state fair housing laws and related civil right and anti-discrimination laws that affect real property transactions and business establishments.Course Goals
This course is designed to increase the student's knowledge of:
- Sources of federal and state fair housing laws and related civil rights and anti discrimination laws that affect real property transactions and business establishments.
- Who is protected by the fair housing laws.
- What acts are prohibited by the fair housing laws.
- How the fair housing laws are enforced.
- What remedies are available under the fair housing laws.
- Preventing violations of the fair housing laws.
Course Instructional Objectives
- The application of VAMA in the real estate industry.
Upon completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify what classes are protected under the Federal Fair Housing Act and what acts are considered discriminatory under this law.
- Recognize exemptions to the Fair Housing Act and appreciate the consequences of the violation of this law.
- Differentiate the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1870 from the Federal Fair Housing Act in terms of who it protects and what it prohibits.
- Identify the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Relate the Unruh Civil Rights Act to real estate offices, property management companies, and homeowners' associations.
- Explain the effect of California Civil Code §54-55.1 Blind and other Physically Disabled Persons on property owners.
- Identify acts that are unlawful and the protected classes under this Rumford Act.
- Recognize that discriminatory conduct is in violation of the Commissioner's Regulations and is cause for license disciplinary action.
- Explain the main provisions of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
- Recognize that financial institutions are prohibited from discrimination of financial assistance.
- Describe the intent of the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act.